The very first first New York City-wide Plastic Free Lunch Day (May 16, 2022) was a huge success. we now know that plastic-free school food service is possible!
Over 750 NYC public elementary schools were served school lunch with NO plastic. This is a #plasticfree victory for NYC students!
Read our Press Release ->.
See the News 12 segment ->.
Plastic Free Lunch Day was the result of years of collaborative effort led by Cafeteria Culture in partnership with NYC DOE Office of Food & Nutrition Services and Office of Sustainability and students!
Ideas from students:
- Plastic Free Lunch Day every day
- Plastic Free Lunch Day for the entire USA
What can you do at your school tomorrow?
Ask your school food manager to:
- Provide dressings and condiments in bulk (no more individual packages - switch to reusable bottles & serve sauces directly on plates)
- Make Pizza days plastic-free always!
- Wrap sandwiches in bulk rather than individually every day
- Utensils by "request only" every day
- Burger and burrito days - plastic free too!
Lead a plastic free campaign to:
- Encourage plastic-free home and store bought lunch -make signs and educate
- Promote reusables & refillables - a Bring Your Own campaign for water bottles, utensils, napkins
More Plastic Free Lunch Action resources ->
Together, we can dramatically reduce single-use plastics from school cafeterias in NYC, the US, and across the globe!
What are your suggestion? Share your ideas with us on social media:
Twitter @CafeteriaCu IG @CafCu FB CafeteriaCulture TikTok @CafeteriaCu
If you missed our short Plastic Free Lunch Day overview video, you can watch it here.